What is GDPR?
The General Data Protection Regulation comes into force from 25 May 2018 with the aim of streamlining data privacy laws across Europe and protecting the data of EU citizens.
Who does it affect?
GDPR will apply to all businesses including those that are outside of the EU but sell to customers within the EU. It affects B2B contacts too - anyone who can be personally identified will be protected by the new regulation. GDPR remains applicable after Brexit so companies based in the UK are not exempt. There are potentially costly penalties for businesses that don't comply with the revised regulations.
How we're supporting you
PLASA members can access an abundance of advice and resources on GDPR using our support services. Members can call our 24/7 telephone helpline (0116 243 7588) and also log into their unique account for expert GDPR guidelines. All free as part of PLASA membership.
Recommended useful resources
PLASA has searched for the most straightforward resources to help you navigate your way through GDPR with ease. Start with this video, which gives a brief overview and then take some time to view/download the additional information.
- An interactive infographic from the European Commission here.
- GDPR for the Marketer from the Chartered Institute of Marketing here.
- Data Protection Network: Guidance on the use of Legitimate Interests under the GDPR here.
- Information Commissioner's Office: Preparing for the GDPR - 12 steps to take now here.
- Information Commissioner's Office: Direct Marketing Checklist here.